Food for People

The Food Bank for Humboldt County

Senior Brown Bag Program

Looking for help?

The Senior Brown Bag Program is for people age 60 and older. You must complete a short Senior Brown Bag application in order to utilize this senior program. View the income guidelines below for seniors age 60+ and call us at (707) 445-3166 extension 303 to apply. Or download the application below and drop it off or mail it to us. Senior Brown Bag pick-up sites are currently provided in Arcata, Blue Lake, Bridgeville, Eureka, Fortuna, Garberville, Hoopa, Manila, McKinleyville, Orleans, Rio Dell, Trinidad, Weitchpec, and Willow Creek. A small number of home deliveries are available for seniors who are homebound and have no other way to access the program. Delivery is not guaranteed, and depends on whether we have volunteer drivers available.

More About Senior Brown Bag

The Senior Brown Bag Program has been in operation since 1987, and currently provides a monthly bag of groceries for up to 400 low-income seniors age 60 or older at locations throughout Humboldt County. Volunteer drivers deliver bags to those who are unable to pick up their own food. Each bag consists of a variety of USDA, purchased, and locally donated foods, bread and up to 10 lbs of fresh produce.

Eligibility for the Senior Brown Bag Program is based on income:

Household of 1 = $1,517.50

Household of 2 = $2,057.50

Household of 3 = $2,597.50

Household of 4 = $3,137.50

Each additional = Add $544

(*income limits last updated July 2018)


Click here to download an application for the Senior Brown Bag program. Completed and signed applications can be mailed to or dropped off at Food for People, or faxed to (707) 445-5946.

Call our Community Food Programs Coordinator at (707) 445-3166 extension 303 to learn more about how to apply for Senior Brown Bag and access the program from a site in your local community or email



Resources for Site Partners Operating the Brown Bag Program:

Click on any of the items below to download tools and resources helpful for your Brown Bag distributions:


To download/print CalFresh flyers with income guidelines and information on how to apply, visit our CalFresh Task Force- Eligibility & Contacts page

To download resources for gardening and accessing farmers' markets and CSA's with CalFresh, visit our CalFresh Task Force- Gardening & Farmers' Markets page

For more information on CalFresh in general, visit our CalFresh Outreach page.

For recipes and nutrition resources, visit our Recipes & Nutrition Education page

Our partners at Humboldt County Dept. of Health & Human Services and St. Joseph Health coordinate to update and provide a comprehensive list of many different types of resources available in Humboldt County. Click here to view/download/print the resource list. And as an additional tool, the Humboldt Network of Family Resource Centers put all of this information into an online resource search engine. Click here to use the resource list search engine.


In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.