1 butternut squash (or other squash; peeled, seeds removed, and chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
2 celery (celery ribs/sticks; chopped)
2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons butter (or oil of choice)
1 apple (peeled, cored, and chopped)
3 cups broth (vegetable broth, chicken broth, or other type)
1 cup water
2 pinches rosemary
1 teaspoon black pepper
salt (to taste)
- Combine butter (or oil), onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a large pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add squash, apple, rosemary (optional), broth, and water.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Remove from heat and puree either with an immersion blender or a regular blender. If using a regular blender, then work in small batches.
- Add pureed soup back to pot, and add spices and salt to taste. Remember- you can go light on the salt here and add more later to each bowl.