1. On the stove over medium heat, add oil to a large pot.
2. Add in onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
3. Cook for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are softened and fragrant.
4. Using the palms of your hands, crush the dried herbs to release aromatics, and add to the pot. Add in bay leaves if using.
5. Add in root vegetables, fresh herbs, salt, pepper, broth and tomatoes, and beans.
6. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until root vegetables are fork tender. Add in green beans or fresh green vegetables, season to taste with more salt, pepper and herbs if desired, and simmer for another few minutes. Serve warm as a side or main dish & enjoy!